The Neev Center for Geoinfomatics was established in 2011 by Dr. John K. Hall, Prof. Yigal Erel and Prof. Amotz Agnon to address a variety of questions using geophysical and geological instruments. The ‘Neevers’ team are a group of MSc, PhD and Post-doc students supervised by Prof. Amotz Agnon, mapping, processing, analyzing and interpreting using various geophysical instruments and datasets.
The Center is equipped with ten powerful workstations, seismic and geographic information processing software, shallow seismic and GPR field equipment, 820 channel Javad Triumph LS GPS, field XRF analyzer, metal detector, legacy data scanning, multiple drones and cameras, a library, and a large digital collection of posters and maps. All the equipment is open for the use of Graduate Students. The Neev Center acts as a student hub and provides a friendly workplace with coffee machine.
David (Bibi) Neev (Rabinovich) 1923-2021
The Center is named after of Dr. David (Bibi) Neev, former Palmach and Haganah intelligence officer, Oil Commissioner, author with Prof. K.O. Emery of the main GSI Bulletin on the Dead Sea, and founder of the GSI's Marine Geology Division. Dr. Neev hired Dr. Hall, unseen, over the telephone in 1969. From 1970 the two of them worked on the regional and global tectonics, and initial seismic surveys of the Mediterranean and Dead Seas. In the late 1980s, together with Leslie Greenfield, Dr. Neev worked up the deep offshore seismics for Yossi Langotsky, whose 2005 Tamar well began the gas discoveries in the Levantine Basin. Now in his mid-nineties, Dr. Neev hopes that the Neev Center will continue to influence the success of geophysics in Israel and its offshore.